Laminate countertops are a popular choice for homeowners because they are affordable and easy to maintain. But how long do they last? And what can you do to make them last longer? In this article, I will answer those questions and provide some tips on how to care for your laminate countertops.
So, how long does laminate countertops last? The answer to that question depends on a variety of factors, including the quality of the laminate, how well it is installed, and how well it is cared for. In general, however, laminate countertops can last anywhere from five to fifteen years.
One way to make your laminate countertops last longer is to avoid exposing them to heat and moisture. You should also avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your countertops. Instead, use a mild detergent and a soft cloth to clean them.
Factors That Determine How Long Laminate Countertops Last
As mentioned earlier, there are certain factors that will determine how long your laminate countertops last. Below is a quick summary of some of those factors:
The Quality Of The Laminate Countertop
The quality of the laminate countertop is a major factor in how long it will last. Lower-quality laminates may only last for five years or so, while higher-quality laminates can last for up to fifteen years.
There are certain brands of laminate countertops that tend to be more durable than others. If you are looking for a countertop that will last a long time, it is best to choose a brand like Wilsonart, Formica, or Pionite.
These brands are industry leaders in the production of high-quality laminate countertops. So going with any of these means your laminate countertops could last you over 15 years without any problems.
The Quality Of The Installation
Another factor that determines how long your laminate countertops last is the quality of the installation. If the countertops are not installed properly, they may not last as long.
This is why it is important to choose a qualified contractor to install your countertops.
A good contractor will ensure that the countertops are installed correctly and that all of the seams are sealed properly – so that there are no water, moisture, or liquids seeping into the particleboard support underneath the laminate.
By getting the right installation, you can be assured your laminate countertops are going to last for years with maintaining their pristine look.
Generally, some laminate countertops will be more hardwearing than others, so the amount of use it gets will affect how long it lasts. If you are a heavy user with a lot of consistent banging, meat, and vegetable chopping, then your laminate countertops may only last a few years.
However, if you are a light user, your countertops could last over years before you begin to see any signs of wear. So it is important to take into account how much use the countertops will get before making your purchase.
How Well The Laminate Countertop Is Cared For
The next factor that determines how long your laminate countertops last is how well they are cared for. If you regularly clean and maintain them, they will last longer than if you do not.
In the next section of this blog post, I’m going to share with you tips on how to care for your laminate countertops. So that they will last as long as possible.
Finally, environmental factors can also play a role in how long laminate countertops last.
If you live in a warm, humid climate, and your laminate countertops are always exposed to these extreme weather conditions, then your countertops may not last as long as they would if they are installed in a cool dry place.
The reason for this is that heat and humidity can cause the laminate countertop to swell and expand, which can lead to it cracking or peeling. The damage is usually on the particleboard within the countertop, not the laminate surface itself.
So if you are considering having your countertops installed outdoors or in a place where they will be constantly exposed to a lot of warmth and humidity, then laminate may not be the right material.
How To Care For Laminate Countertops So They Last Long
There are a few things you can do to care for your laminate countertops so that they last long.
- Make sure to clean your countertops regularly with a mild detergent and water.
- Clean cleans immediately when they happen, as they are much easier to remove when they are fresh.
- Do not use any harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the surface of the laminate.
- Thoroughly dry the surface of your laminate countertops after cleaning.
- Do not leave any water puddles on your laminate countertops.
Sealing And Protection
- Generally, laminate countertops do not need sealing but it is a good idea to do it as an extra layer of protection.
- Sealing will help protect your countertops from any spills or liquids that may seep in and cause damage.
- There are many different sealants on the market, so be sure to choose one that is compatible with your laminate countertops.
- You can also purchase a sealant that will protect your countertops from scratches and fading.
- When applying a sealant, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- You should also test the sealant on an inconspicuous area of your countertop first to make sure it does not damage or discolor the surface.
Storing Objects On Laminate Countertops
- If you are going to be storing objects on your countertops, try not to place anything too heavy or sharp on them, as this can damage the surface.
- It is also best not to place hot items directly on the countertop, as this can cause the laminate to warp or melt.
- Instead, place a heat pad or trivet under any hot objects to protect the surface of your countertop.
- Do not sit or stand on your countertops as this can also cause damage.
So, now you know a little bit more about how long laminate countertops last. Be sure to take into account all of the factors I mentioned in this blog post when making your decision on whether or not to install them in your home.
And if you do decide to go with the laminate countertop option, be sure to take good care of them so that they last as long as possible.
In conclusion, laminate countertops are a great option for those looking for an affordable and durable surface. How long they last depend on a variety of factors, such as how well they are cared for, the climate they are installed in, and how much use they get.
Thanks for sticking around for the entire blog post! I hope you found it helpful.